About Buy Fresh Buy Local
Buy Fresh Buy Local chapters are popping up in every community across the USA! Check to see if a chapter is located near you or in your state CHAPTERS LIST or contact FoodRoutes if you are interested in starting a chapter at Click here for a list of our current Buy Fresh Buy Local Chapters.
CHAPTERS AT WORK:
Our BFBL Chapter Affiliates are connecting consumers in communities throughout the country to the freshest, most delicious locally grown and locally produced foods available. Through outreach education, fun events, festivals, farmers markets and by supporting local food system revitalization our chapter members and chapter affiliates are hard at work expanding the availability and quality of locally grown and produced foods. Buy Fresh Buy Local Chapters are coordinated nationally by FoodRoutes Network, a nonprofit organization based in Pennsylvania.
Making a Difference
- In Northeast Iowa, the chapters have helped double local food purchases among twenty three institutional buyers, including hospitals, retirement homes, restaurants, grocers, and colleges. Together, these institutions spent approximately $465,000 on locally produced fruits, vegetables, meats, dairy and baked goods in 2004 – dollars that otherwise might not have been invested locally.
- Kansas City’s Chapter has tracked a 36% increase in local food sales for the Good Natured Family Farmers Cooperative selling through a group of locally owned and operated supermarkets in the Kansas City metro area since the chapter’s inception in summer, 2004.
- In Alabama the BFBL Chapter Affiliate coordinated 204 billboards displaying the Buy Fresh Buy Local logo for 2 months reaching an average daily viewing of 1,043,000 people.
- Louisiana BFBL held a “Cast-Iron Chef Challenge” which had two teams from Louisiana State University go up against a team of local consumers who enjoy cooking. The challenge was to use a host of local ingredients.
- Pennsylvania held successful BFBL field trips as part of BFBL Month that invited consumers into the homes of many local family farms to see and learn where their local food comes from.
Help Make A Difference with Us! Join or start a logo BFBL Chapter in your community contact FoodRoutes to learn more at Start a local Buy Fresh Buy Local Chapter! Click here, to learn how to start a local Buy Fresh Buy Local Chapter.
|Buy Fresh Buy Local Chapters|
Buy Fresh Buy Local Alabama (Regional Chapter Affiliate Coordinator) Alabama Farmers Market Authority
Idaho / Eastern Washington / Oregon:
Buy Fresh Buy Local (Local Chapter Affiliate Coordinator) The Land Connection
Buy Fresh Buy Local West Indianapolis (Local Chapter Affiliate Coordinator) Market at Morris Street
Kansas Rural Center
Buy Fresh Buy Local Northern Piedmont (Local Chapter Affiliate Coordinator) Piedmont Environmental Council (PECVA)
Buy Fresh Buy Local Loudoun County (Local Chapter Affiliate Coordinator) Piedmont Environmental Council (PECVA)
Buy Fresh Buy Local Richmond Area (Local Chapter Affiliate Coordinator) Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
Buy Fresh Buy Local Shenandoah Valley (Local Chapter Affiliate Coordinator) Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
Buy Fresh Buy Local South Centre Corridors (Local Chapter Affiliate Coordinator) South Centre Corridors RC&D;