These little bites are very popular around here. I love to hear my six-year-old come home from school delighted to down 4 or 5 of them and say “Mom, you should be on Top Chef!” Ah, the days where your children think you are the most accomplished, smartest person in the world!
Simple to throw together, and full of veggies and nutrient-dense fats from the cheese, this is a great after-school snack or bag lunch recipe. In fact, you could cut the pieces smaller and serve them as hors d’oeuvres if you were feeling fancy!
I like to make a large batch of these and keep them in a container in the fridge for the week as I dole them out for school lunches and snacks and side dishes for dinners. They are very handy indeed!
- saucepan, lid, and colander
- cheese grater, cookie sheet or jelly roll pan, food processor
- parchment paper, spatula and cooling racks
I have included options for those of you that are gluten free (use rice crackers, crushed) or grain-free/GAPS (use almond flour). I hope this proves useful, no matter where you are in your food journey!
Broccoli Cheese Bites
2 cups steamed broccoli, cut into small pieces
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (buy grass-fed cheese here)
1 cup bread crumbs*, crushed rice crackers (gluten-free), or almond flour (grain-free/GAPS)
2 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning (recipe follows)
salt and pepper to taste (buy organic spices here)
*use sprouted, soaked, or sourdoughed bread to make the bread crumbs: bake bread slices at 300 degrees for 10-15 minutes until dry, then grind in a food processor to make crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine broccoli, cheese, eggs, bread crumbs, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper together in a large bowl. Stir to combine.
- Form into small patties and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment.
- Bake for 15 minutes, turn the patties over with a spatula, and bake for another 10 minutes or so. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes. Yum!
2 tablespoons basil (buy organic, high quality dried herbs & spices here)
2 tablespoons oregano
2 tablespoons rosemary
2 tablespoons thyme
2 tablespoons marjoram
- In a small jar, mix all the herbs together with a spoon. Alternately, put the lid on and shake to mix.